8 interesting things about Silver
- The symbol for silver is Ag (from the Latin Argentum, meaning “white” or “shiny”
- The word “silver” originates from the old English Anglo-Saxon word ‘seolfar’
- The atomic number 47 represents the chemical element of silver
- Silver objects have been found by archaeologists in Egypt dating back to 6000 B.C
- Because of the softness of pure silver jewelry is traditionally made from sterling silver (an alloy of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metal)
- British money takes its name from sterling and in many languages the same word is used for “money” and “silver”.
- Mexico is the largest producer of silver in the world.
- Jewellery at deblaca.ie is made in silver and gold and hallmarked by The Assay Office, Dublin Castle, Ireland.
← Older Post
Newer Post →