- International Women's Day is celebrated across the world on March 8 each year.
- The first International Women's Day was observed in 1909 in the Chicago, when the Socialist Party of America designated the day to honour the garment workers' strike in New York in 1908.
- The first modern International Women's Day was held in 1914, on March 8th. The date was chosen because it was a Sunday when the majority of women would be off work to participate in marches and other events.
- In 1913-1914 International Women's Day became a day of protest against WW1.
- The United Nations began celebrating International Women's Day on 8 March 1975
- The theme for International International Women's Day 2017 is BeBoldForChange. campaigning for a more gender inclusive world.
"It is true that a woman's duty is centered in her home and motherhood but home should mean the whole country and not be confined to three or four rooms of a city or a state"
( Charlotte Perkins Gilman addressing IWD New York 1909 )