The Ha'penny Bridge was the first pedestrian bridge to cross the river Liffey. It opened on May 19, 1816 replacing a ferry service. As the ferryman charged a halfpenny for people to cross the river, it was agreed that the ferryman would be compensated by the continued payment by pedestrians of a halfpenny for 100 years. Therefore, the bridge, which was officially named Wellington Bridge, was known by Dubliners as The Ha'penny Bridge, and the name has continues 200 years later.
The bridge was almost demolished 100 years ago, when it was handed over to Dublin Corporation and was considered ugly by some. Fortunately it survived is today used, photographed and loved by locals and tourists. Like many worldwide city bridges, it's survival is threatened by the scourge of love locks, which cause damage and rust to this beautiful bridge and incurs cost of removal and maintenance by Dublin City Council.